Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Best Of The Best!

So this morning on the radio show I work for, we talked about having a Mount Rushmore dedicated to 4 Royals Greats. and since the Royals had a rain out yesterday, I figure we can have a little fun today and discuss who I`d have in my top four. So agree or disagree, and if you do disagree, go ahead and give me your top 4.

I will start from number 4 down to number 1. So here we go.

#4 I have Dennis Leonard. yes this was close while Splittorff had 4 seasons with 10 complete games and notched up 17 shutouts. He also leads the Royals in all time wins with 166, then you had Saberhagen with 2 Cy young awards and had the most wins in a season for a Royal ever with 23. Not to mention both guys had a World series title, but Leonard caught my attention as the all-time Royals leader in complete games with 103, Shutouts with 23, 2nd in wins with 144 and 3rd in strikeouts with 1,323. Also, he helped form the Royals pitchers in 1985 due to a leg injury that kept him from playing, but he still got a ring. I put leonard on the list because I have an infielder, an outfielder/ infielder, and a coach on this list so I pick him as my pitcher... I know there were many through the early years, but he stuck out the most.

#3 on my list is Frank White, who is an 8 time gold glove winner, a 5 time all-star, ALCS MVP of 1980, and a world Series Champion of 1985.White finished his career second on the Royals all-time list in games played 2,324, at bats 7,859, and hits 2,006.his number 20 is one of 3 Royals numbers to be retired. He now coaches for the Royals AA team, the Wichita Wranglers, after a short sting in the Royals Sports Television Network on Fox Midwest.

#2 on my list is Coach Dick Howser, He took the Royals to the top of baseball and will never be forgotten for taking the Royals to their first world series championship in 1985. he led the Royals to 3 division titles and 2 world series appearances, 1980, and 1985. this is why I give him my #2 position on my list of top 4. His number 10 was the first of 3 Royals numbers to be retired in Royals history.


#1 on my list of 4 is none other than Mr. George Brett. Brett Is the greatest player to wear blue and white, not to mention one of the Leagues greatest clutch hitters of all time. The name George Brett will never be forgotten in Major League Baseball, from the Pine tar incident to world series champion, Brett was also a 13 time all-star, the 1980 AL MVP, 1985 Gold Glove winner, he had 3,000 plus hits, 300 home runs, 600 doubles, 100 triples and 200 stolen bases in his 20 seasons with the Royals and Oh yes, he was also the first player in Major League history to win a batting title in 3 different decades, in 1976, 1980, and 1990. His number 5 was also one of the Three numbers to be retired in Royals franchise history and for those reasons, that is why I have George Brett at #1 on my mount Rushmore of Royals players.


All these players made my list because they were dominate at what they did. Yes I left out Willie Wilson, Dan Quisenberry, Whitey Herzog, Ewing and Muriel Kauffman, and a few others, but they have already made the Hall Of Fame in Kansas City, and have or will make the Hall Of Fame in Coopers Town, but if you disagree with any of mine, go ahead and tell me who you think should be in here. So feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment